Expensive Shovelhead Boat Tail

Must tell "Captain Confusion" (Geoff Bowering) as he has, pointlessly, a boat tail seat unit that he is never going to use - could be the first time he actually sells something?

Those the correct r. brake bracket for that year?
jus askin......
boat-tails; (probably) one of the most un-loved and rarely purchased of all Harley parts (like the kick-only FX battery-box and support bracket).
I've long harbored the notion that the boat-tail could be nicely and smoothly blended to work well, style and usefulness wise, with a pogo-solo seat.

Last edited:
Skip I think you are right - brake pedal should come up from under the peg and though we can't see the shifter very well it should be a reversed pedal with the FLH chrome foot shield, at that price it should really be museum accurate?

............................................. at that price it should really be museum accurate?
most def I was thinkin........... or at least more org. parts than showing for 35K+ in US$.

some time later this night,
it is the correct shifter;
a fine collection of photos of a (ahem!) correct brake set-up. ..clik on the picture for the gallery of the [savable] jpegs. Makes a nice ref.

Last edited:
.......just one more thing......*

If the Harley design dept. didn't fully understand what the reaction would be to the 'BoatTail FX SuperGlide', they were listening hard enough on the rebound. From the ad for 1972; Note the mst. cyl./pedal arrangement remained the same.
I haven't yet located the other parts of this particular ad.

Also, from the for-sale ad, "but few know that the first official name given by H-D to the model was Night Train. It was scrapped after a short time for unknown reasons and would become the designation for a line of Softail models many years later."

I see 'night train' in the ad picture. I don't remember It ever being called by that name much, if at all; Midnight Express seemed to possess far broader of a romantic attachment as names go......
'Midnight Express' I recall quite well; that name too, was dropped, on account, I expect, of the attached connotation that, in the press at that time, the nocturnal airborne supply line for that which was smoked or snorted was commonly referred to as the 'midnight express'.
I was in the USAF at the time and wanted a 72 badly, but the Triumph GT 6+ that caught my 19 y.o. eye won out when it came down to the must chose one or t'other. Later I worked as an A&P for a cheque-hauling FAA Part 121 flying service named Midnite Express, run by a bunch'a Eton cowboys out'a Hong Kong operating from Charlie Brown airport, a little distance west of Atlanta.

..Willie G, "Hey! I got it! Lets us use a Sportster rear fender instead. We make'em don't we?"

*from 'Columbo' and 'Dangerous Davies' my two favorite TV-scripted detectives.

1972 Super Glide FX 1200cc Brochure_Page_1.jpg

Last edited:
Was the boat-tail an option ONLY for 1972 Sportsters and the Super Glide?

I know it was standard in 1971. 1972 was the last time it was offered, but as an option only?

The boat tail seat unit came first as an option for the 1970 Sportster, then also option for 1971 and 1972 SuperGlides and Sportsters then dropped for 1973.

Ought to mention, for those still learning their Harley lore, that the seat units are NOT the same - the FX seat has a clear step between rider and pillion while the XL is flush and the base is also different, the XL one has a more narrow nose and the side "skirt" has a distinct end just at the riders bum while the FX "skirt" blends into the nose contour. The lights are the same, mounting hardware is, of course, different as is the grab rail.
(in case any of you come across one like Geoff did..)

Not original. But nice anyway.
They even say in the listing, if its the same one.
Just jumping on the band waggon.

Back