1983 Electra glide rear sprocket

Deanokidd

Hi all,

I wanted to change my rear sprocket, I removed it today and found this any ideas? I can’t find a replacement anywhere. Maybe an early FXRT one?

IMG_9299.jpeg

IMG_9298.jpeg

IMG_9297.jpeg

IMG_9296.jpeg

Seems its looking that way, the alternative would be to get a sprocket with the correct dish, and have the old one machined off and weld the new one in place.
But keep looking you may be lucky!

How about having the boss converted into a spacer so that you can fit a bolt-on sprocket? Should be no problem to have a flat sprocket blank drilled to fit the existing bolt spacing if you can't find one ready-made.

IMG_9299.jpeg

Remove the sprocket, leaving the boss.
Remove the webs in the above pic, leaving a channel.
Make a ring to be an interference fit in the channel.
Press the ring into the boss and drill the 5 holes.
As necessary, machine the boss or leave the new ring proud so that the new sprocket lines up with the gearbox sprocket.
5 nuts holding the new sprocket to longer studs that pass through the sprocket, the new ring, and the original boss, and are screwed into the wheel hub.

Last edited:
There's a used one for sale on US ebay right now, search by part number on ebay dot com

Also try old parts houses such as Bill's Custom Cycles in Bloomsburg PA, Bear's Vintage Metalworks in Ohio.

I could even ask at one of the specialty Shovelhead parts shops down here in Melbourne if you want.

late to the party, bu J W Boon has a couple of 48T NOS ones.
41521-79 'bare' for 173 euros.
41522-79A with bearing(s) and seals for 351 euros, ouch!

anyway, consider Boon for any hard to find NOS bits, you'll pay, but it is what it is
i use him frequently for the necessary 'quality' parts. when i can get away with junk, i go third-party catalogues.

while you're at it, get another machined up for a spare, ready to go?
make sure you show us the results of the machined part.

ordering process is a bit long winded.
you identify the parts you want, minimum order about 70 odd quid i think. but that is easy to achieve :rolleyes:.
leave a contact with the basket/checkout.
he then gets in touch with the total cost.
you have to bank transfer or use a paying facility. no cards i'm afraid.
on his advice, i registered with 'wise', it's a paying site/app.
registered my card/account and used that. cheaper than transfer with my uk bank and easy.
registered boon iban/acct details and saved it.
i only use it for buying stuff from boon.
when paying have to use the reference for the order.
i've bought all sorts over the years and relatively recently too.
worth doing imo.
you'll also have the import now from EU, but what can you do if you want the parts and nos/oem?

Now my new front sprocket is wrong the internal drive diameter is to small 🤦🏻‍♂️

Any advice here would be appreciated, starting to run out of time.

IMG_9343.jpeg

yes, it looks like your trans sprocket is that of a 5-spd trans.
Same castelations (is that a word?) as the 4-spd, just a slightly larger ID.
i'm not sure on the FLT, but they're 5-spd yeah?

unfortunately i'm away with work, otherwise i could have measured the ID on ones i have to check.
hopefully someone else can to confirm, but i think that is your problem, i.e. you bought 4-spd sprocket, you need 5-spd.

reference only, not sayin' to buy from them.

Back